248am logo

About to be terminated from work, need a bit of help with labor law

asked Oct 18, 2016 in Work by Adnan
So yeah as usual had a tiff with the manager, he says the business isn't running well so I'll be laid off. No worries. I ask him for a 3 month notice period as its my right and he refuses, says he'll talk to his lawyer. (As I asked to go according to the law, he wants to put his lawyer in to pressurize me)
I have a few questions.

1) Can I get my 3 month salary of the notice period as monthly basis or all at once after transferring my residency to another company?

2) If I leave after 3 months I'd have completed 21 months in the company, do I get my indemnity or leave balance and stuff? (Sorry I'm not good with the proper terms)

3) Can I ask for the indemnity if I leave during the notice period?

Thanks in advance

Your answer

Your name to display (optional):
Privacy: Your email address will only be used for sending these notifications.
Anti-spam verification:
To avoid this verification in future, please log in or register.

1 Answer

answered Oct 18, 2016 by anonymous
selected Oct 18, 2016 by Mark
Best answer
As per the law, if he is terminating your employment, he has to guarantee you 3 months of employment with your normal salary being paid at the end of every month. If he wants you to leave immediately, he has to pay you the 3 months in advance. Also, you are entitled to 1 hour per day to leave early to look for work or you can bundle up all these hours and take 1 extra day off to look for work. You are not entitled to "indemnity" before 5 years, however, he has to pay you all your leave balance - either in cash or in days.
commented Oct 18, 2016 by Adnan
Thank a bunch for the detailed reply. Appreciated.
commented Oct 18, 2016 by Adnan
One more question, the employer just stripped of 50kd from my monthly salary saying theres no business. I got those as a raise. Unfortunately I have no written document of that raise. But I've the receipt which I used to sign every month. Can I do something or do I've to just let it go?
commented Oct 18, 2016 by anonymous
If your regular salary (including the KD50) was being deposited into your bank account, you can report the company to the Ministry with the evidence (bank statements etc.) and they will pressure the company into paying you your normal salary.
Welcome to Kuwestions where you can ask anything relating to Kuwait and receive answers from other members of the community.